Friday, June 19, 2026

want to get experience in fashion but don't know where to start?




I've been interested in fashion for a while now, but when you don't live in a fashion city. It's hard to figure out how to build your career in that field. I decided to create my own opportunities to gain experience and knowledge. 


1. Figuring out what you actually like about fashion 

Is it designing lookbooks and moodboards, luxury retail, or distribution? Do you enjoy sewing but have no interest in building a brand? Reality check (for myself): The fashion industry is always changing. But also feels like if you don't know someone who knows someone. It's really hard to break through. Is this really what I want?

2. Learning the basics


I attend YouTube University every single year. It's the one place that's free (with too many ads). It has documentaries, tutorials, sewing techniques, and the history of fashion.  One YouTube account in particular, I recommend is Zoe Hong. She gives full tutorials on how to plan a collection. Of course, making a collection takes time and is a tedious process; be comfortable with trial and error. Giving yourself room to make mistakes.


3. Create a mini fashion project to gain more experience and have things to add to your portfolio/website.



Because of your lack of experience, you need something under your belt! It could be a fashion blog, digitizing your whole wardrobe to make a lookbook, creating a mini collection, or developing a marketing plan for a brand you're fond of. I'm simply looking to gain experience. In the past, I've put these projects on my resume and portfolio. For myself, I'm going to create a 5-piece collection. I need to sharpen my skills as a seamstress and a designer. So this will be helpful.


4. Networking 

I honestly hate to even say networking, but I know it's important. To get involved with the growing community of fashion in my city. I've created an Eventbrite account to find events that I believe will make it easier to meet other people in the industry. Filtering the website to work for me. I put my city, free, and fashion in the search bar. The events I saw included so many free tickets to fashion shows and a casting call for designers. 


5. Literature



I have one recommendation to read: "200 Projects to Get into Fashion Design" By Tracy Fitzgerald and Adrian Grandon.

This book breaks it down from moodboards, design software like CAD, and building your own portfolio. I suggest you take a look at the website internetarchive.org. You can read the book there for free. This book has transformed the way I plan out my designs.







Hope the tips help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

  Currently At The Moment I'm getting ready for work, imagining a life I hope to soon have. Also, can I just say how good The Scream TV ...